Museums Strategy for Wales
Wales was the first home nation to approve a strategy for museums back in 2010. Produced by CyMAL in consultation with the sector, the Federation of Museums and Art galleries of Wales has been instrumental in delivery from the start. We are still active in supporting museums to deliver the strategy.
- Download the Museums Strategy for Wales from CyMAL's website
- Go to the Federation's resources section to support strategy delivery with links and documents shared by the museum community in Wales and beyond.
The strategy states:
“Our aim is that by 2015 museums in Wales will have improved their services according to three guiding principles that underpin the place of museums in Welsh life.
Museums will contribute to living communities, promote the values of a fair and just society and provide lifelong learning opportunities for all.
Museums will hold, care for and continue to develop collections for the nation which represent our rich and diverse culture.
Museums will manage their sites, operations, collections and people more effectively to continue providing services for citizens that are relevant, robust and sustainable.”
The strategy includes case studies and a detailed action plan for 2010-2015. The Federation's pages provide more information aimed at strategy delivery.
Delivering the Strategy
Find out how museums and partner organisations have been meeting the strategy, where support is needed and what actions are recommended for the future with this report published in October 2012 by the Federation and funded by CyMAL.
- Download full report (English)
- Download the executive summary (Welsh)
- Download the executive summary (English)
- Download Appendix One: Logic Model (English)
- Appendix Two: Project Schedule (available on request)
- Download Appendix Three: Communications Plan (English)
- Download Appendix Four: Regional Meeting Plan (English)
- Download Appendix Five: Online survey questions (English)
- Download Appendix Six: Training needs analysis (English)
- Download Appendix Seven: YMAG feature (English)
- Download Appendix Eight: Outline Bid to MA’s Esmée Fairbairn Collection Fund (English)
Please note that CyMAL are also producing a report on strategy delivery, but (as at 10th December 2012) this is not yet available online.